Saturday, March 30, 2019

Connecting with strangers

We often hear that we should teach our children about 'stranger danger' and that makes sense, to a certain degree, and I wonder how we unlearn that messaging when we become adults?

I find one of the most charming experiences in life is talking with someone I don't know, a stranger.  Whether it is a moment shared while waiting for the light signal to change or walking to your car with another volunteer talking about the theater you support. 

Just last night, I met another volunteer usher with Trinity Rep. I started volunteering there soon after arriving in Providence.  We walked together to our cars last night after assisting at the theater and she shared that she is a case worker for the state of Rhode Island.  That caught my attention because of my work as a fundraiser for Kinship House, an outpatient mental healthcare agency for foster and adoptive children in Portland, OR.  We had a commonality.  Her genuine spirit was light and loving although she carries the weight of dealing with heart wrenching circumstances in her work in the world. 

In our brief exchange, we shared a little bit of who we are with one another. And although we agreed to catch up the next time we crossed paths, with a likelihood it will not happen, it is a loving human experience that I will carry with me.

Last night, two strangers became acquaintances. Who knows, maybe someday we will become friends.  It could happen.  This is Rhode Island, you know. Our experience offered us the chance to share a piece of our heart and soul with one another in a brief connection.  Just because.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment