Saturday, June 18, 2022

Roma - Day 9

 


It is a strange feeling being here in Rome, all by myself.  Rose left at the crack of dawn this morning (and at the time of this writing, she is trying to figure out how to get home from Logan Airport in Boston) and as her cab sped off down via Sant Erasmo, I felt so weepy!  My energy started its shift.  For seven days, we walked around this city at a feverish pace and my guess is, walked 40+ miles during that span of time, in 90+ temps.  

After she left, I busied myself with work, both the house and the business kind.  I did a mess of laundry in preparation for Lila's arrival on Monday night and sat my butt down in front of the computer to do my contract work.  I was at it from 10 am to 6 pm.  A totally different pace altogether. I considered an evening stroll for some gelato but I rather just chill by myself since I will be galavanting in Florence next week.

Yes, it is a strange feeling to be alone in another country. I remember a similar feeling when I moved to Providence.  That all of a sudden feeling that everything - and everyone - I knew was thousands of miles away.  It is an interesting shift in perspective. 

I am striving to create my own pace now. I did get to walk to the nearby park this morning and joined other folks from the neighborhood out and about before the intense heat set in.  The parrots were already anticipating the sizzle but there was a calm comfort in walking there because it is one of the familiar spots in my temporary hometown. 


When I got back to the apartment, I then got on the horn (aka video chat) with the gal who gave me a gentle nudge to take the next step in realizing this dream: Jevonya Allen.  She is living the wild life of an introverted expat in Mexico these days and it was in a conversation I had with her a few months back that I decided to go for my Italian Grand Tour.  Later in the day, I received a message from yet another inspirational woman in my life: Judith Turano.  She and her husband are living the Dream Life as expats in Paris.  It was in February 2019 during my visit with them in Nice, France that this seed was first planted.

So, my international adventure experiment is providing some fascinating data.  If I do pursue a life of living abroad, it is going to be an adjustment.  Hey, I know how to make new friends but this isn't Maryland or Kansas or Texas. I am also thinking about what it will be like to be back in Rhode Island once this adventure is over. As with any big trip, I made a transition plan.  I am staying at a Boston hotel before I head back home to Providence. 

Tomorrow, I am back up at the crack of dawn to write, meditate, and take a walk in the park before putting my nose back on the grindstone.  I feel very blessed to be able to live a life where I can do my work with a laptop and an internet connection. I also know how lucky I am to be able to have this experience. I know where the food store is and a few places to eat if I want to mingle with the crowds. I also know where that gelateria is and may treat myself to some creamy goodness tomorrow after my work day.

And, it is kind of crazy fun to know that the freaking ROMAN COLOSSEUM is a 15 minute walk away from where I am seated.  Kinda crazy cool, actually.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment