Monday, June 20, 2022

To Ciao or not to Ciao - That is the Question

 


You may want to hit 'play' on the above video to enjoy some fun Italian music while you read today's blog!

At the the of writing this post, Lila has deplaned at the Rome airport and is navigating public transportation to get to the apartment. I am so exciting that she is almost here!  Now the goal is to keep her awake until at least 9 pm to help combat the inevitable jet lag. 

The past couple of days have been both soothing and productive.  My galavanting all of the Eternal City came to a halt when Rose returned to the United States and the timing was perfect.  I have spent the past few days letting my feet heal from pounding the payment - my guess is we did about 40 miles total in about a week's time, all in 90+ heat, mind you.  We saw a lot of great stuff!

So, on Saturday, Sunday, and today, I worked (aka did my business stuff) from about 10 am to 6 pm each day.  I have been enjoying my daily morning walk to the local park and for today's lunch break I ventured out to the around-the-corner cafe. 






I've been eating all kinds of good food and moved to an Americano for my morning coffee habit. My goal is to get all that food in our small fridge consumed before we head to Florence on Wednesday morning. 



I am feeling really good after that awkward, "Oh-my-gawd-I-am-all-alone-in-Italy" moment on Saturday morning. What can I say - this girl likes some routine!  Right now, as I await the Darling Daughter's arrival (*) and write this blog, I am drinking a nice glass of wine.  

I think about today and my bumbling American efforts at today's lunch adventure, which gets to the title of today's blog post. I understood it that I was to use 'arrivederci' as a visitor when I say farewell but then a few shop employees have used ' Ciao!' in their exchanges with me.  Well, when I went to lunch today, the staff at the cafe were most generous with me.  I used my Google Translate app hoping to impress my server but it was a fail. 😅  I though I had bounced back at one point but then realized, I was using 'good evening' (buona sera) thinking it was 'good afternoon'. Eek.  They must have thought I was a total dweeb. 😝 Anyway, I made it back home without insulting any additional lovely people as it was a mere block away to my apartment. I guess the lesson learned is, just keep on trying and keep a smile on my face when I do it.

I did have a really nice surprise happen today:  I reconnected with a former high school classmate!  I spotted a post about her yesterday and we have enjoyed some catching up exchanges.  I am looking forward to a virtual happy hour over zoom with Lisa later in the summer!

Well, Lila is on a train heading this way.  I think she will be here in about 30 minutes or so. She drops a mention in text about 'needing to go to the British Embassy to sort out her visa for school'.  WTH?!  Sheesh. I can't keep up with that kid.



(*) Another blog for another day about how I am not freaking out about my 18 year old daughter backpacking across Europe all by herself for a couple / three months.






No comments:

Post a Comment