Thursday, August 2, 2018

TBA: Day Two

We made it to our second destination today:  Idaho Falls, ID.  Our accommodations this go around, not so hot.  We were totally spoiled at Candlewood Suites, just outside of Boise.  Spoiled, I tell you. Excellent amenities, gracious staff, and pure comfort.  I decided to take my special dish that was on my bedside table on Pardee Street (bringing a little bit of my former home with me on the road and it makes a tender difference in the strange places that I am sleeping in).  Tonight, we checked into Comfort Inn and well, 'comfort' is not a word I would use for this hotel.  But what I did discover was another guest who spends a lot of time staying here (13 years he has been coming to this hotel) who helped me out as the front desk gal was trying to deal with the system's failure called registration.  I also spent 15 minutes trying to connect to WiFi without success until I realized I needed to circumvent my default browser and presto!  I was connected. Thank goodness.  I mean, what would I do without being able to connect to the internet?
Earlier in the day, we got a late start as I needed to do some telecommuting for my job with Kinship House.  I'll be working remotely for my favorite non-profit that provides mental health care for foster and adopted children and I am thrilled with the opportunity!

Once we checked out, Liam and I headed to Radio Boise in downtown.  I met the founder many years ago at a radio conference just as he was trying to get things going with the community radio station.  We met Jessica (the general manager) and Wayne (the program director) along with a few volunteers.  Wayne graciously gave us a great tour of the station and I have to say, I loved talking 'shop' with him.  I miss working at a radio station and it was a great walk down memory lane to be talking 'all things radio'.  After our visit, we grabbed some bento before hopping into the car to head to our next location.
 

One of the fabulous things that I am noticing on this trip is the inherent kindness in people. I have been living with the notion that traveling in the US isn't as jolly as abroad because the people in Europe are more open to welcoming travelers.  Well, I've been learning the contrary on this trip as every person I have yakked with has been tremendously friendly and helpful.  So happy to be wrong about my fellow and sister Americans.

Tomorrow, we are off to the northern part of Yellowstone Park. We will be entering from the western entrance and we are both quite excited about this leg of the trip.  Yes, I booked another room at Comfort Inn and I will remain optimistic it will live up to its name. Let's all cross our fingers, eh?

Ciao!
Dennise
(aka Denny K - A new nickname I may start using in Providence - what do you think?)

No comments:

Post a Comment