Thursday, November 3, 2022

Day 6 | Edinburgh, Scotland (11/1/2022)

We had sunshine on Tuesday, so I took full advantage of the nice weather to check out Calton Hill, a World Heritage spot.  I noticed it the other day when I was heading out on my tour of the Highlands. 'Edinburgh’s Acropolis' offers the most amazing views of the city and I was very happy to have done the 'Hume Walk', which is one of the first public walking routes created in Britain, to climb the hill. The walk was named after the philosopher, David Hume, who was born in Edinburgh. He and some other city residents urged the council to create it in order to 'encourage healthy pursuits and living'. It also includes several monuments and an art museum...and a great view of Holyrood Palace, the King's official residence in Scotland. I hope to tour that location this weekend!



After my stroll on the hill, I popped into the Old Calton Burial Ground where David Hume has been laid to rest. 


Because I was in the neighborhood, I returned to Rabbie's Cafe for another cup of the perfect cappuccino before heading out for lunch. Closer to home, I was able to enter St. Cuthbert's which is the oldest Christian site in Edinburgh, where Agatha Christie was married, and includes a Tiffany stained-glass window!


St. John's was also open to visitors, so I went inside to check it out as well.



Working up quite the appetite, I walked to The Palmerston which happens to be just a hop, skip, and a jump from my apartment.  I was so pleased with my three course meal - delicious! The bread was PERFECT: soft dough with a chewy crust. 



After a delicious meal, I headed back home to await the Darling Daughter's arrival later that evening. To check out all of my photos from the day's adventures, click here!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment