Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Let the (Scottish) games begin!

Well, I made it to Logan Airport without issue, courtesy of my dear friend, Ellen.  She even shared a candy bar treat 'for the road' and a sweet note of bon voyage.  She is one of my favorite humans on the planet as she is very kind and generous - all the time!

I am not a big fan of driving to this airport but I realized on today's trip that you basically keep going left until you get to your destination (aka the terminal) and that is when you go right. The sun came out just as we left Providence and then we encountered some serious fog once we came up on Boston.  I like getting the airport waaaaay early because it minimizes my travel stress, no matter how long the lines.  As it turned out, I needed to go to the ticket counter even though I had printed out my boarding pass at home. I bet if I had downloaded it to my phone, I could have skipped that line but I didn't know what gate to go to (it wasn't on the reader board yet), so it all worked out in the end. The funny thing is, I stopped to go to the counter on my way in because I had a 'feeling' that I should do so, but dismissed my 'gut'.  Anyhoo, it all worked out. Interesting update:  You no longer have to empty your bags to go through security!  Not even putting your electronics in a separate bin.  You also do not have to take off your shoes (but you do still need to take off your coat).  I wonder if that is the case at all US airports?  Here's hoping!  While in the security line, there was one rude traveler sassing the TSA employee.  Why on earth would she do that?  Oh, well. In general, folks have been friendly and easy-going.  

So many props to several people who offered up some suggestions on what to see when I am in Edinburgh.  Jessica (someone I know from my days in Puddletown, Oregon) frequents the country somewhat often and shared a whole mess of spots to check out.  I am also part of a Facebook group called Solo In Style: Women Over 50 Traveling Solo & Loving It. Of the latter, I am meeting up with several other members who live in Edinburgh for dinner during my stay (can't wait to meet you Christine, Gill, & Janet!).  Here is a rundown of all the places I hope to visit:

  • Fruitmarket Art Gallery

  • Ross Fountain

  • Edinburgh Castle

  • City Art Center

  • Holyrood House

  • National Museum of Scotland

  • The Royal Mile

  • St. Giles Cathedral

  • Greyfriars Kirkyard (Harry Potter Graves)

  • Armchair Bookstore

  • Scottish National Gallery

  • Scott Monument

  • Dean Village

  • Botanical Gardens

  • Water of Leith Walkway


Okay. That is quite the list, so I will see how many spots I actually get to! I am spending a night in St. Andrews as well and will be seeing a few things while I am there including my darling daughter perform as one of the ensemble cast members in Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Byre Theatre.

I did a little research on Edinburgh via that Fodor Travel Book I picked up at the library and I also did some internet recon. This is what I found out:
  • Edinburgh is like Rome as it is built on 7 hills. Providence is also built on 7 hills!
  • I live in the West End of Providence and my flat in Edinburgh is also in the West End!
  • Edinburgh is known as a cultural capital and Providence is known as the creative capital!
  • Edinburgh is famous for Festival Fringe, which is the world's largest arts and media and Providence hosts Fringe PVD!
  • One of the Bond Boys was born in Edinburgh - Sean Connery!
  • Jethro Tull's lead singer was born in Edinburgh and let's not forget about those Bay City Rollers!
The gate is starting to fill up with other passengers. I got here just in time to score a decent spot to sit and set up a comfortable space to hang out. The one down side of traveling solo is you can't leave your stuff at your seat to go use the rest room or anything. So if I get up, I lose the spot.

Well, I better wrap this up and get ready to board. I have a layover in Dublin for a few hours before heading to Edinburgh!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment