Thursday, October 27, 2022

Day 1 | Edinburgh, Scotland (10/27/2022)

I made it to Edinburgh with only a slight delay.  My connecting flight from Dublin to Edinburgh had me sitting in the Dublin Airport for about five hours or so but it all worked out just fine.  It was only an hour and a half flight away to Scotland and I enjoyed a nice conversation with Beverly.  She hails from Boston and was on her way to visit with her son and his family up near Dundee.  She had the window seat and captured one spectacular shot as our flight was descending.

 

My AirBnb apartment is darling! Very comfortable and the light that fills it is downright artistic.  It is located in the West End (just like my apartment in Providence)!




I decided to hire a driver for a few point As to point Bs during this trip.  I get so stressed out when it comes to public transportation, especially in a foreign country.  Nicola was charming and very welcoming - she got me to my place and shared some pointers, like visiting the Johnny Walker Mega Store - it is supposed to be quite something, especially at night time.

My apartment is located on Williams Street which has shops and restaurants. It is also a couple of blocks away from St. Mary's Cathedral - what a stunning building!  I walked over and was able to go inside of it. Writer, Sir Walter Scott was a member of its congregation. He is known for his poetry and books, Ivanhoe and Rob Roy.  Here in Edinburgh, there is the Scott Memorial which I hope to see during my visit.

Not to be confused with St. Mary's Catholic Cathedral, the one I visited today is quite the structure.  It was designed by architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, with the foundation stone laid in 1874.  I was swooning over it - can you blame me?!



 

I had an early dinner at Teuchters Pub which is just a hop away from my place.  It was the perfect place to enjoy my first meal in Edinburgh and I got there just before the mad rush for football.  The waiter recommended the perfect whisky and I ate a delicious sausage dinner.  Just lovely before heading back to St. Mary's for a service with their choir.  I was so dang tired, I kept nodding off, so I just took off and now I sit in front of my computer typing this post. I am trying to stay up as close to bedtime as possible even though I had about 30 minute sleep in the past 24 hours.  It is now 7:45 pm Scotland time - I'm going to bed!





Check out all the photos from the day right here!

No comments:

Post a Comment