Friday, August 2, 2019

Out with the old....

“For me, becoming isn’t about arriving somewhere or achieving a certain aim. I see it instead as forward motion, a means of evolving, a way to reach continuously toward a better self. The journey doesn’t end.” ― Michelle Obama, Becoming

Today is a big day for me.  It is my final day of employment with an organization I have been with for the past three years.  I have enjoyed my role there and I am sad to leave. I accomplished a lot in my work as a fundraiser and enjoyed spending time with my colleagues supporting their work in providing care to foster and adopted children.

Last August, I started telecommuting for the agency since I moved to Rhode Island from Oregon.  My heart is heavy and I am scared but I am also excited about what could be next for me, professionally.  Yesterday was August 1, my one year anniversary of leaving Portland to drive cross country with my dear friend, Liam. I recall that day of excitement, free pie from Village Inn (we went there for breakfast and they had leftovers from pie day - score!), and the open road. It was one heck of an adventure and an experience I will treasure for rest of my days.

      
Now I am facing another journey, another change - a welcome one but not without some anxiety.  I have some plans that I am not quite ready to reveal at this point, but stay tuned!  Right now I want to be present for the process, for this transition, of letting go.  

We live in a world that changes in a heartbeat and it is a challenge to just slow down and enjoy it.  We are bombarded by loss, struggle, fear, anxiety - just to name a few.  We bear witness to the struggles and heartbreak of others. Sometimes, it is just plain hard to be happy among the realities of the world.  I find it way easier to 'check out' with a few hours of binge watching Netflix or Hulu, but I have to admit, I don't feel a whole lot better afterwards.  

I decided to mark this transition as a significant one that I will honor.  Have you ever intentionally done something to honor a celebration or a loss?  Years ago, I purchased a book called The Women's Retreat Book: A Guide to Restoring, Rediscovering, and Reawakening Your True Self - in a Moment, an Hour, a Day, or a Weekend.  I highly recommend it to those of you who like to pause and reflect.  The activities I have used from the book have helped me with some major life changes.

I am blessed with people, near and far, who believe in me, like my daughter and my closest of friends. My heart swells with gratitude when someone shares kind regards with me. Thank you. This knowledge will help me move forward.

When I finish this final day for this particular experience, I am going to take care of myself and inhale the beauty that is my life. I encourage you to welcome opportunities to pause and just be.  It can make a world of difference, believe me, and get you just a little bit closer to happy. Aw, heck.  Go out an hug someone you love, too. It wouldn't hurt.


2 comments:

  1. Dennise, Thanks for writing this blog and carrying us all along with you on this journey. You are a beautiful, courageous, inspiring friend. I know this journey will take you exactly where you need to go and that you will move through it with grace and love.

    ReplyDelete