Tuesday, August 7, 2018

TBA: Day 5, 6, 7

Hello, Friends!  The daily drivetime has increased these past few days so I have just enough energy to watch a couple of episodes of "Madam Secretary" before calling it a day. I adore that show and want to be Elizabeth McCord when I grow up. Let me clarify:  I do NOT want to be Secretary of State but her diplomatic skills when dealing with some serious buttheads is inspiring. The character is played by the very talented Tea Leoni and demonstrates how women can really take care of some business when it comes to Really Important Things. Now, I know it all has to do with really good scriptwriting, but that works for me.

We finished our visit to the gorgeous state of Wyoming yesterday and entered South Dakota. I think I made mention of this in my last post, but it is worth sharing again:  if you have a chance to visit Wyoming, do it.  There isn't one dull spot.

The day was full of visits to Devil's Tower, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, and The Badlands.  Devil's Tower was a fantastic experience that included a momma doe and her two little fawns making an appearance on the walking trail. And, when the other tourists weren't talking loudly, you could hear the climbers talking to each other up on the tower. We hit them all in just one day (the sights, not the tourists!) Needless to say that once we arrived in Chamberlain, SD, I was wiped out! We also kept running into groups of Harley Davidson riders who were checking out the annual gathering at Sturgis, SD and an impressive number of them took over the small town outside of Mt. Rushmore!
 

And, get a load of this:  As we were approaching the gate to The Badlands, I wasn't paying attention to my speed.  I think I was doing 80 mph in a 55 mph zone.  It was clear that I was speeding when the nice sheriff pulled me over to write me a ticket but here's the thing - he decided not to give me one.  He took some time to run my license, etc. and then returned to my car to share that he was going to give me a warning.  I threatened to kiss him with that news but quickly rescinded my suggestion for concern he might change his mind.  He actually smiled at the suggestion.  Needless to say, I've been hyper-vigilant in using my cruise control here on out!

We have also been blessed with amazing weather.  It has been sunny or partly cloudy for the most part - not a day of rain (beyond some quick showers driving over the Black Hills).  Each time we started a major ascent, we were always rewarded with a breathtaking view of the next valley below.

I've noticed that people's energy is different.  Not as friendly as I have shared in prior posts.  That may very well be due to my weariness from all this driving and my state of being at the end of the day is thin with patience.  But I did have a nice exchange with the server at The Upper Crust Pizza & Wings joint in South Dakota.  She gave me this refreshing treat that was a lovely way to end the day. The next morning, the gal at the gas station suggested we stop by to see Dignity on our way out of town.  She was a beautiful and stunning farewell to our visit to the small town.
The Dignity sculpture is a stunning combination of art and history. Located on a bluff between exits 263 and 265 on Interstate 90 near Chamberlain, the stainless steel, 50-foot-tall statue was specifically designed by sculptor Dale Lamphere to honor the cultures of the Lakota and Dakota people. That’s why he used three Native American models ages 14, 29 and 55 to perfect the face of Dignity.
We arrived safely in Rochester, MN and our accommodations at the Comfort Suites are superb.  The city is the birthplace of the world-renowned Mayo Clinic.  I thoroughly enjoyed the drive through Minnesota due to the vibrant and pristine farmland.  In contrast, the more desolate areas of Wyoming and South Dakota freaked me out a bit with not a soul in sight for stretches of time.

Tomorrow, we head to a place just outside of Chicago and then to Toledo before spending a few blissful days in one of the most important places on the planet to me - my Aunt Susan & Uncle Peter's peaceful farmhouse in New York State.  It is her birthday on Saturday and I can't wait to see her!

Ciao!
Dennise

5 comments:

  1. Hey DennyK! I loved that area of Wyoming and South Dakota. The Badlands are amazing, and Devil's Tower is really impressive. Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be Vicky! Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Was off the blogging grid for a few days there. :-)

      Delete