Sunday, October 30, 2022

Day 3 | St. Andrews, Scotland (10/29/2022)

 Up at the crack of dawn in order to ease into my drive to St. Andrews.  I like to continue my morning practice as much as possible, even when I am traveling.  So I set the alarm for an early rise to enjoy some espresso, write, and eat some breakfast before Nicola arrived.  I learned that she and her husband launched their own driving business earlier in the year.  I learned about them through a gal I met via the online group, Solo in Style: Women Over 50 Traveling Solo & Loving It. Pamela had spotted my post about plans to travel to Scotland and as it turns out, is from Rhode Island!  She and her husband had just gotten home from their own journey there and shared a few resources.  Nicola got me to and back in a super comfortable drive for my visit with Lila in St. Andrews.  She is such a delight. I highly recommend Prestige Travel for transfers and tours!


 

I found Greyfriars Inn via a random internet search and it was the PERFECT place to stay while in St. Andrews - I highly recommend it if you are in town to play golf or visit the university.  They were very gracious in letting me check in early and honored my request for a top floor room.  The pub downstairs offered delicious food - I enjoyed two meals there: dinner and a complimentary breakfast. The hospitality in this country has been bar none. Whether in the 'big city' of Edinburgh or rural area of St. Andrews, everyone I meet is such a delight. I know - I have used that word twice now and I suspect it will pop up quite a few more times before the end of this trip.


The darling daughter and I had a bountiful, delicious lunch at a sweet little cafe called Bibi's Cafe before walking Lila to rehearsal for that evening's show.  I then ventured to explore the town and made my way to the water's edge before checking out the castle and cathedral.  I was more impressed with the cathedral because of the epic size it once was (you can check out a rendering of what it looked like here). And, in spite of all the ugly temporary fencing scattered among the grounds, I was still blown away by it.






After a quick shower, I grabbed some fish and chips in the pub and then ventured to Byre's Theatre to bear witness to Rocky Horror Picture Show that included instructions and props. I was impressed with everyone's performances and it was great fun.




To see all the photos from the day, click here!











No comments:

Post a Comment