Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Epic Road Trip

She's been gone for about twelve hours now.  I dropped her off at her father's house after spending two solid weeks with her on the east coast.

I miss her already.

My daughter and I have a relationship that is intense, loving, argumentative, and sweet.  It looks nothing like what I had with my own mom and that is a very good thing.

Lila and I spent the past couple of weeks on a true blue vacation.  We visited six states and spent the most time in three of them.  We drove all around Vermont, New York, and Pennsylvania.  I am exhausted but my, oh my - what a magnificent trip!


It all started when I posed the possibility of picking her up from camp.  It was a done deal when Lila suggested we visit my home state of Pennsylvania so she could see where I grew up.  She has spent many a visit with her father's side of the family but a nanosecond with my family.

I couldn't wait to drive her around my childhood haunts and introduce her to my childhood friends. I so looked forward to introducing her to her cousins! She was a total rock star hanging out with all of the adults and two of my favorite memories include her sitting on the couch with her baby cousins and her spending time with the daughter of one of my dearest friends.

Wendy has been part of my life for over 40 years and she has always been there, no matter what.  The kindest of souls (and one of my favorite Christians!) as she prays for me even though I am not religious.  It is the ultimate in acceptance, our differences.  And that is why I love her so much.

To share the past with my own child.  To take her to places I frequented when I was her age, was a true gift.

The trip was one of a lifetime. We talked about doing it again next year, but I know that we cannot repeat the experience. We will go, no doubt about it, but as time moves forward there is always this faint call to pause in the moment.  I did that a lot during this trip.  I was as fully present as I could ever be and carry those experiences in my cells now.

I suppose the takeaway from the trip was to not sweat the inconvenient small things that were tossed under our feet but to look beyond those moments for all the goodness that wrapped around us, keeping us safe and loved.


I dreamt of many glorious possibilities as I walked around Manhattan, pretending to be a New Yorker. A priceless moment came in the last few hours being in the city.  I walked and smiled as I strolled in Central Park so joyful to be alive. I even have a picture that captures the moment for me.

Someday, I will go back with my girl.  It may be next year or the next year after that - who knows. Regardless, we will always have the Momma and Daughter Epic Road Trip of 2017 to remind us of family, friends, and our ability to be adventurers.

No comments:

Post a Comment